Landscaping From the Ground upBook - 1997
Discusses grading, retaining walls, patios, decks, fences, lawns, gardens, and specialty garden features
Ingram Publishing Services
The builders have left your dream house sitting on a bare lot. Your older house has landscape flaws or lacks creative planting beds. You'd like to improve the look of the entrance, hide the well cover, or install a brick walkway. The key to the yard of your dreams is here in Landscaping from the Ground Up.
With the expert advice of professional landscape designer Sara Jane von Trapp, you can increase the value of your home and turn your yard into an attractive outdoor space. In this book, von Trapp explains exactly how to assess your site for possible improvements, how to choose the options that best fit your needs, and when to call a professional to help.
Following the author's practical, jargon-free advice, you will learn how to:
- map an existing landscape and plan for new features
- select materials and estimate costs
- use the right tools for each job
- build retaining walls
- install walkways and patios
- dig beds to add borders and gardens
- select plants for low-maintenance gardening
- plant shrubs, trees, perennials, and annuals
- add special features such as water and rock gardens, garden furniture, and sculptures
Professional landscape designer and certified horticulturist Sara Jane van Trapp provides all the know-how for making and implementing a landscape plan. She covers a wide range of landscaping projects, including building walks and patios, planting a lawn, adding gardens, and planting shrubs and trees. Homeowners can now create dream yards out of an ordinary landscape. 175 full-color photos. 80 drawings.