Head First ExcelBook - 2010
Provides instruction on using Excel including how to build spreadsheets, add and format information, print reports, create charts and graphics, and use basic formulas and functions
Are you afraid to try something different? Then this book is not for you. However, if you prefer stimulating dinner party conversation to dull academic lectures, welcome home. With b&w photos, screen shots, thought balloons, and illustrations, this guide to Excel employs an unusual visual layout based on the latest cognitive science, and incorporates humor and a conversational tone. Information is presented in different ways for different learning styles, with emphasis on word-picture relationships, stories, and open-ended questions. The book covers beginning and advanced skills for new and experienced Excel users, with material progressing from formulas through data types, text functions, pivot tables, Booleans, and segmentation. The book ends with brief instructions for installing the Excel add-in called Solver. Milton is a programmer. Annotation ©2010 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Ingram Publishing Services
Do you use Excel for simple lists, but get confused and frustrated when it comes to actually doing something useful with all that data? Stop tearing your hair out: Head First Excel helps you painlessly move from spreadsheet dabbler to savvy user.
Whether you're completely new to Excel or an experienced user looking to make the program work better for you, this book will help you incorporate Excel into every aspect of your workflow, from a scratch pad for data-based brainstorming to exploratory analysis with PivotTables, optimizing outcomes with Goal Seek, and presenting your conclusions with sophisticated data visualizations.
- Organize and clearly present information in a spreadsheet
- Make calculations across a number of worksheets
- Change your point of view with sorting, zooming, and filtering
- Manipulate numerical data to extract and use just what you need
- Leverage Excel as a grid-based layout program
- Write formulas for optimal functionality
- Nest formulas for more complex operations
- Create sophisticated data visualizations with charts and graphs
- Use Goal Seek to optimize possible outcomes based on different assumptions
- Create summaries from large data sets for exploratory data analysis with PivotTables
We think your time is too valuable to waste struggling with new concepts. Using the latest research in cognitive science and learning theory to craft a multi-sensory learning experience, Head First Excel uses a visually rich format designed for the way your brain works, rather than a text-heavy approach that will put you to sleep.